It is no coincidence that the DL1 is the UK's best selling data logger, packed to
the brim with features our competitors can only dream of offering at this price.
The DL1 is as well at home in a road legal trackday cars, motorcycles or a full on
GT specification racing car.
* One Box plug and play solution
* Expandable, 13 inputs for wheelspeeds, steering angle, damper pots, brake
pressure, engine sensors, etc.
* Capable of detecting minute changes with 100Hz update rate on all channels
* Measure your drift angle and analyse chassis dynamics with the gyro option
* Review your braking points and over all grip with the built in 2g 3-axis
accelerometer, optional 6g 3-axis accelerometer for those that have more grip
* Get the most out of your engine by logging information from your ECU*
* 50 hours of logging with a 1 GB compact flash card
* Optional battery pack available
* Scrutineering logger for Britcar and SportMaxx series
* Easy to use, comprehensive analysis software, free to download here
* Download some sample data sets here
* Lap and sector timing, make sure you find that last 10th for pole position
* Trackmaps with satellite overlay
What does the DL1 do?
The DL1 can store data from a number of sources including its built in high accuracy
GPS and accelerometers, wheel speeds, shaft speeds, engine speeds, temperatures,
pressures, lap times, sector times etc. The DL1 comes packaged with the excellent
Race Technology data analysis package for Windows. The software allows super accurate
track mapping, user defined channels, powerful graphing and allows direct comparison
of up to 10 data sets (races) simultaneously with almost unlimited laps.
Why use GPS?
One of the key features of the DL1 is its built in high accuracy GPS system - this
gives the DL1 advantages over other data loggers in 2 key areas - greatly improved
track maps and far more accurate speed measurement.
Track Mapping. Conventional data loggers require a "closed circuit" to enable them
to calculate the track map; the shape of the track is estimated from a combination
of the lateral acceleration and speed. This works adequately in some situations but
it becomes increasingly inaccurate for long tracks and impossible for open circuits,
motorbikes or boats. In contrast, the GPS will produce high accuracy track maps in
almost any situation.
Speed Measurement. While speed is probably the most important parameter that anyone
wants to measure using the data logging system, it is also the most inaccurate in
a "conventional" system. The normal way to measure speed is to simply attach a pickup
to a wheel to detect how fast it is rotating - but the rolling circumference of a
tyre changes by 4% just with wear and temperature. Even worse, the error increases
significantly under race conditions where the tyre is under load - typically the
tyre slips by upto 20% under hard braking going into a corner. Measuring speed using
GPS is now common practice in high-end systems - under typical conditions speed error
is well under 1%!
Features of the DL1 data logger
The DL1 is an all-new, 2nd generation, data logger system from Race Technology. Whilst
the DL1 builds on the strengths of our highly successful DL90 system, it is a brand
new design in almost every respect. Some of the most noteworthy features include:
* The new GPS unit is based on our own high accuracy GPS3 technology and calculates
position and speed 5 times every second or 20 times every second with the optional
20 Hz GPS.
* Built in 3-axis accelerometer with 2g full scale (optional 6g full scale).
* Logging to compact flash memory. Compact flash memory is robust, economical
and offer fast download times and huge capacity which is ideal for data logging products
* 8 analogue inputs. All the inputs are 12-bit accuracy (4096 different levels)
and have a maximum input of 12v
* 2 RPM inputs, only one of which can be used at any one time. One for "high
level" sources, such as the HT leads or the ignition coil. The other for low level
signals from for example ECUs.
* 4 independent wheel or shaft speed inputs. These can be used to measure the
speed of all four wheels, or slip ratios across a torque converter for example.
* Serial data (RS232) input. The serial port can be configured to accept data
from an external source - for example data from the ECU, OBDii or CAN data (with
a suitable adapter)
* Serial data (RS232) output. As well as logging the data to compact flash it
is also available from the serial port.
* Lap beacon input. This channel can also be used as a general-purpose digital
input if required.
* Small and tough, the most compact logger in its class, at just 110mm x 75mm
x 30mm (4.3" x 3" x 1.2") it can be fitted into the smallest single seater, motorbike
or go kart. The DL1 is housed in a 2mm thick aluminium enclosure and carbon fibre
end panels for very high impact resistance, we even use stainless steel screws!
* Simple operation. A single button to start or stop logging, it's as simple
as that! a remote button and status indicator can be added if required.
* Power supply requirements. The power supply to the DL1 data logger can be taken
directly from the vehicles 12v supply, or it can be powered from it's own battery
if required. The power supply is smoothed and regulated within the DL1 ensuring its
performance is highly robust and stable.
* Testing. Very high reliability is ensured by calibrating, temperature testing
and vibration testing each unit on an individual basis. Autosport applications make
tremendous demands on electronic systems and we take great care to make sure our
products are up to the task. All the connections to the units are vibration proof,
high strength, screw terminals to ensure that connections do not fail at the critical
time. Nothing is indestructible - but the DL1 comes close!
* Powerful. The 2 processors in the DL1 are the very latest generation RISC units
that feature both higher speed operation and are flash upgradeable - so as we add
new features to the DL1 you can upgrade yours to the latest specification for free.